Date: October 16, 2023
Registration deadline: October 2
Join OLLI Instructor Kathryn McClintock and your OLLI members and friends on a trip to visit the museums and sights on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia. OLLI travelers will participate in the trip on an a la carte basis. While Kathryn will lead an optional tour through the Rodin Museum (to complement her course, Auguste Rodin: The Gates of Hell), you can visit any museum or venue of your choice, including walking the Schuylkill River Trail or the Fairmount Water Works grounds or visiting the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul. Before arriving back home, travelers will have dinner at Shady Maple Smorgasbord.
Dinner: Shady Maple Smorgasbord, where Monday is Steak Night. There will also be 46 salad bar items, three soups, homemade bread and rolls, four cheeses, eight meats, vegetables, and desserts galore. You can plan on approximately $25.00 per person for dinner.
Physical activity: Please be aware that a considerable amount of walking will be involved. While in Philadelphia, the bus will drop off and not return for several hours. However, there will be benches and seating at various venues.
- 6:00 a.m. — Depart (location TBD)
- Rest stop midway
- 10:00 a.m. — Arrive Philadelphia (Rodin Museum opens at 10:00 a.m.)
- Lunch on your own.
- 4:00 p.m. — Depart Philadelphia
- 5:30 p.m. — Arrive at Shady Maple Smorgasbord
- 7:00 p.m. — Depart for State College
- 9:30 p.m. — Arrive at the Outreach Building
Below are some additional free options while exploring the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Additional information of potential activities will be shared with those that register for the trip. Please note that a personal ID is required to receive senior discounts at various locations on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
- Horwitz-Wasserman Holocaust Memorial
- Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter & Paul
- Logan Square
- Galleries at Moore College of Art
- Anne d’Harnoncourt Sculpture Garden
- Fountain of the Sea Horses
- Parkway Gardens by PA Horticultural Society
Cost per person
$120 for members
$135 for nonmembers
Included in cost: Bus transportation only.
Not included in cost: Dinner and all other activity fees are at your own choice.
You are able to cancel and receive a refund until Monday, October 2.